First Church ministers through worship, education, and community activities, and has a special focus on helping the urban poor in downtown Seattle.
With over 150 years of serving the Seattle area, we have a long history of leadership in delivery of human services, including:
- Supporting Civil War veterans in the late 1800′s
- Providing asylum for Chinese workers during the riots of 1886
- Feeding indigent families in the church’s soup kitchen during the Great Depression
- Reaching out to servicemen during World War II
- Founding a retirement home for senior citizens in 1961
- Providing housing to homeless men and women through Pulliam/Wesley Haven in the 1970′s and 80′s
- Helping establish a 40-bed overnight shelter, and a daytime homeless women’s congregation
- Providing a weekly breakfast for the hungry that has continued for thirteen years and today serves over 250 needy individuals
There are many ways for you to get involved, like volunteering for Shared Breakfast!