First Church Time Capsule at 5th and Marion Building
Prior to moving to our Denny Way location, First Church was located at 5th and Marion. That church building was completed in 1910, and served as First Church’s home for a hundred years. The Fifth and Marion building is currently being renovated, and during this process the project developer uncovered a time capsule that was placed in the structure during the original construction. A few weeks ago, the First Church Archive team was invited to attend the re-installation of the time capsule. In addition, they were able to include the following letter from First Church:
“To the Future Residents and People of Seattle:
Much has changed in Seattle since the 1910 dedication of this building at 5th and Marion. This Romanesque-style hall, the third house of worship for the First United Methodist Church of Seattle, served as our sanctuary for 100 years. As the first church in Seattle, founded in 1853, we continue to gather to “worship God, and learn to love each other” as we have for nearly 164 years. In 2017, still in the heart of the city, the congregation prayerfully seeks to live out Christ’s message of peace and justice—standing on the side of the marginalized in our society. To this end, our commitment to feeding the hungry and housing the homeless has consistently guided the decision-making and ministry direction of First Church.
With the expansion of Seattle’s suburbs, First Church’s congregation began to spread throughout a large geographical area. As the downtown population declined, so did the membership of the church. In 2007 First Church sold its 5th and Marion building and purchased a new site at the corner of 2nd Avenue North and Denny Way to build a house of worship and a new urban outreach center. The new building was dedicated on January 31, 2010.
Although we’ve moved from this place, this building holds many memories for those of our congregants who recall the worship, music, and ministry that took place here, keeping the Spirit alive in the city’s center of commerce. We are full of appreciation for the care the current owners have taken to preserve and celebrate this building and property, which served as First Church’s home for so many years.”
You can find more photos from the re-installation of the time capsule on our Facebook page!